Tuesday, August 22, 2006

hole in the kitchen


hole in the kitchen
Originally uploaded by Ben from England.
This is a hole that is currently in our kitchen, and it means my French is getting better.



WE had a visit from our neighbor downstairs, M. Jean Marc Babouchkine, who is currently renovating the apartment directly below us, he explained, using slow and simple words once he ascertained that I did not speak perfect French, that there was a leak in the corner of his kitchen just below our kitchen, and he wanted permission for a plumber to come in a take a look at the problem. He showed me the leak in his kitchen and some damage on the landing that was also caused by the same leak.

Then the plumber called, or rather the plumber controlling lady, first she called at 7.45 in the morning, waking me up (I had over slept because my phone is not working so well since I got a load of water in it..) and once she found out I did not speak excellent French, and after asking if there was anyone there who did speak French, was say things louder, and quicker, in a high pitched whine. leaving me to repeat what I thought were the important screeches, and her to correct me as if I were an idiot, "No! not Tomorrow, Thursday!!!!" She has had to call back three or four times to arrange for this hole to be made and for other people to visit, I dread her calls.
Our neighbor however is welcome anytime, especially as he has the most amazing moustache.

No comments: